Scan failed with error 0x80240438 and Cloud Management Gateway


As part of an ongoing Autopilot project, I am installing ConfigMgr agent on devices with Azure AD identity to support Co-management. Workloads for patching Windows updates and Office 365 sit with ConfigMgr so it is important for me to have this working to support an existing monthly patching process in the customer's environment.

Since I implemented CMG for the customer as part of another project last year, I was aware of the configuration, but when security patching didn't work using CMG on AAD devices, it came as a little surprise to me. I immediately put on my troubleshooting hat and started looking into the issue. Now update scan failures in the world of ConfigMgr is a common occurrence. Since I have dealt with such issues many times in the past during my career, I knew what and where to look for. I wanted to share some of my troubleshooting steps through this blog post which may help others in the future.

The first thing I did was to check whether the client had installed correctly and whether it is registered with the Management Point or not. You can do so by checking ClientIDManagerStartup.log


Once it was established that the client is registered and receiving policies, I checked WUAhandler.log to check for Windows Update scan status.


Scan failed with error = 0x80240438 loosely translates to 'There is no route or network connectivity to the endpoint'. If you look into scan status report in ConfigMgr, you will see something similar.


What caught my attention was the fact that an on-prem Software update was being assigned as the WSUS server location. I verified the local policies and registries to confirm this.



The device in question has no VPN configuration so why is the WSUS not reachable through CMG? Is there anything wrong with the CMG? One might ask....This is where things get interesting. To troubleshoot further, I checked the Locationservices.log to see which WSUS server locations were being provided to this endpoint that is purely on Internet.


That is odd, because I didn't expect an on-prem server catering to internet based client requests as the ConfigMgr environment was not configured for IBCM. A primary reason for configuring CMG in the first place.

To fix this, all that was needed was to switch the setting from catering to internet and intranet clients to intranet only clients in the SUP settings of the On-prem server. 


After I did this and performed a machine policy retrieval action on the endpoint, the correct and intended WSUS location (ie CMG) was provided by ConfigMgr through client policy and the patching on the device was back up. 




Happy days..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to force escrowing of BitLocker recovery keys using Intune

Intune: Configure Printers for Non-Administrative Users

Intune: UAC Elevation Prompt Behavior for Standard Users